Lake City Army Ammunition Plant

Installation Overview
Aerial Image

LCAAP is housed on 3,935 acres with 374 buildings, 43 magazines, 9 warehouses, 11 igloos and storage capacity of 707,000 square feet.

Lake City has a government staff of one Soldier and 28 Department of the Army civilians to provide contract oversight. The government staff has a payroll budget of $2.6 million. Contractor statistics are considered proprietary and therefore are unavailable.

Capabilities
  • Small arms cartridges
  • Components such as percussion and electric primer
  • Pyrotechnics
  • Small caliber ammunition (5.56mm; 7.62mm; .50 caliber and 20mm)
  • Demilitarization and disposal of small caliber ammunition and explosives
  • Performs reliability testing of small caliber ammunition (5.56mm; 7.62mm; 9mm; .22 caliber; .45 caliber; and .50 caliber)
Ammunition

History

LCAAP was established in December 1940, with production beginning in 1941. It was the first of 12 small arms plants run by the Army.

History - Women Workers in the 1940sHistory - Official Ground Breaking
Support of National Troops

Three particular units utilize Lake City Army Ammunition Plant as a training Facility.

1) 325th Medical Detachment
11101 Independence Avenue
Independence, MO 64054
816-836-0005 Ext 2101

2) Battery D 1st BN 129th FA
2323 S. Crysler Avenue
Independence, MO 64052
816-461-8372

2) HHC 1st 138th REGT BN
7000 Ozark Rd
Kansas City, MO 64129

This page has been viewed: