LCAAP is housed on 3,935 acres with 408 buildings, 43 magazines, nine warehouses, 11 igloos and storage capacity of 707,000 square feet.
Lake City has a government staff of 28 Department of the Army civilians and one Soldier to provide contract oversight. The government staff has a payroll budget of $2.0 million. Contractor statistics are considered proprietary and therefore are unavailable.
- Small arms cartridges
- Components such as percussion and electric primer
- Small caliber ammunition (5.56 mm; 7.62 mm; .50 caliber and 20 mm)
- Demilitarization and disposal of Plant produced small caliber ammunition and explosives
- Performs reliability testing of small caliber ammunition (5.56 mm; 7.62 mm; 9 mm; .22 caliber; .45 caliber; and .50 caliber)
LCAAP was established in December 1940, with production beginning in 1941.
It was the first of 12 small arms plants run by the Army.
Support of National Troops
Three particular units utilize Lake City Army Ammunition Plant as a training Facility.
1) 325th Medical Detachment
11101 Independence Avenue
Independence, MO 64054
816-836-0005 Ext 2101
2) Battery D 1st BN 129th FA
2323 S. Crysler Avenue
Independence, MO 64052
2) HHC 1st 138th REGT BN
7000 Ozark Rd
Kansas City, MO 64129