IAAAP is housed on 19,011 acres with 767 buildings, 271 igloos and storage capacity of
1,100,775 square feet. It also has 143 miles of roads and 102 miles of railroads.
Iowa has a government staff of 25 Department of the Army civilians and one Soldier to provide contract oversight. The government staff has a payroll budget of $2.5 million. Contractor statistics are considered proprietary and therefore are unavailable.
- • Large ammunition
- • High explosive artillery
- • Medium - and - large caliber mortars
- • Insensitive munitions
- • Smart munitions mines/scatterable mines
- • Missile assembly/missile warheads
- • Rocket-assisted projectiles
- • Detonators
- • Test Ranges
- • Spider grenades
- • Demo charges
- • MICLIC (mine-clearing line charge)
- • Development
- • Pressed and cast warheads
- • Salute Rounds
The IAAAP was established in November 1940, as the Iowa Ordnance Plant and started production in 1941. Production was stopped in 1945, when World War II ended. The plant resumed its ammunition manufacturing mission in 1949. In 1950, in response to the Korean conflict, production increased dramatically. In 1975, the Army assumed responsibility for IAAAP.