SCAAP is housed on 15.3 acres with seven buildings and storage capacity of 509,000 square
Scranton has a government staff of eight Department of the Army civilians to provide installation management contract oversight. The government staff has a payroll budget of $.9 million. Contractor statistics are considered proprietary and therefore are unavailable.
- • Manufacturing source for projectiles
- • Multiple long stroke vertical hydraulic forge press lines
- • Capability to produce large mortar projectiles
- • In house metallurgical testingIn house metallurgical testing
- • Over 120 hydraulic tracer and CNC lathes
- • Machining capability exceeding current ammunition manufacturing requirements
- • In house end-to-end production processes, no outsourcing requirements
- • Multiple automated paint lines
- • Multiple heat treat furnaces that austenitize, quench, and temper
The installation was originally constructed as a steam locomotive erecting and repair facility in 1908. SCAAP was established in 1953 and operated by U.S. Hoffman until 1963 when Chamberlain Manufacturing Corporation became the operating contractor. General Dynamics, Ordnance and Tactical Systems assumed operation of the facility from Chamberlain in 2006 and is the current operating contractor. SCAAP is the recipient of the AMC Superior Unit Award (2007), and the Department of Defense Environmental Sustainability Award (2012).